Jul 27, 2011, 12:15 AM EDT
William and Mary, which earned a share of the CAA Football crown a year ago, is favored to win the CAA Football Championship in 2011 according to a vote of the league’s 11 head coaches and media relations personnel. The results of the poll, along with the Preseason All-CAA Football squad, were officially announced during Wednesday’s CAA Football Media Day at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, Md.
William and Mary running back Jonathan Grimes and Delaware running back Andrew Pierce, along with Massachusetts linebacker Tyler Holmes headlined the 2011 CAA Football Preseason All-CAA Football squad as Preseason Players of the Year. Grimes, the most decorated student-athlete in CAA Football history having earned eight postseason honors in just three seasons, ranked fourth in the league piling up 887 rushing yards for a Tribe squad in 2010.
Pierce enjoyed one of the finest seasons ever for a Blue Hen runner in 2010 as he rushed 329 times for 1,655 yards and 14 touchdowns. He set Delaware freshman records for carries in a season, yards rushing in a game (200 vs. Duquesne) and a season, rushing touchdowns in a season and total touchdowns (16) in a season.
Holmes finished his junior campaign in 2010 with a team-best 110 tackles and five sacks for the Minutemen. As a fifth-place finisher in the Buck Buchanan National Defensive Player of the Year balloting a year ago, Holmes earned First Team All-America honors from The Sports Network, AFCA, Associated Press and College Sporting News.
For more of the release and a complete list of the Preseason All-CAA Football squad visit CAAFootball.com
- CAA Football Kicks Off 2018 Season With Media Day On July 24
- 13 Players, 6 Teams Receive HERO Sports Preseason Recognition
- Nation's-Best Six CAA Football Teams Ranked In Athlon Top 25 Poll
- Three CAA Football Players Selected In 2018 NFL Draft
- Nine CAAFB Players Named To Hampshire Honor Society
- Reisert Named CAAFB Scholar-Athlete Of The Year
- Football National Signing Day
- Richmond's Lauletta Named Senior Bowl MVP
- This Week In CAA Football - Season Recap
- Four CAAFB Teams Ranked In Final Top 25 Polls