Oct 4, 2011, 4:08 PM EST
Excellent early season play has led to four players joining the 2011 Walter Payton Award Watch List including New Hampshire senior quarterback Kevin Decker. Decker joins three other CAA Football athletes who were part of the early-season watch list including William and Mary’s Jonathan Grimes, Delaware’s Andrew Pierce and Old Dominion’s Thomas DeMarco.
The Payton Award will celebrate its 25th anniversary this season and be presented to the FCS’ outstanding player at the national awards banquet Friday night, Jan. 6 in Frisco, Texas. The Payton Award Watch List will continue to undergo revisions during the 2011 season. Ballots will be sent to a panel of about 200 sports information and media relations directors, broadcasters, writers and other dignitaries after the regular season on Nov. 21. Three finalists will be announced on Dec. 1 and invited to The Sports Network/Fathead FCS Awards Presentation.
Decker has guided the Wildcats to a 3-1 record and a No. 6 ranking in this week’s The Sports Network/Fathead.com Top 25. The signal caller ranks fifth nationally and second in the CAA in passing efficiency (169.59), eighth nationally and tops in the CAA in total offense/game (310) and he’s No. 2 in the FCS in points responsible for/game (23.5). The 6-foot-2, 205-pound QB leads the CAA in passing yards/game (270.8) and is second among non-kickers in scoring/game (8.5 points).
For more on the recent Payton Watch List update visit CAAFootball.com.
- This Week In CAA Football - Season Recap
- Four CAAFB Teams Ranked In Final Top 25 Polls
- JMU Falls 17-13 To NDSU In FCS Title Game
- Friday in Frisco
- JMU FCSChampionship - Thursday Update
- Ankrah Chosen FCS ADA Defensive Player Of The Year
- This Week In CAA Football - National Championship
- National Early Signing Day
- Five CAAFB Players On AFCA All-America Squad
- This Week In CAA Football - Going Back To Frisco