Oct 4, 2011, 4:08 PM EDT
Excellent early season play has led to four players joining the 2011 Walter Payton Award Watch List including New Hampshire senior quarterback Kevin Decker. Decker joins three other CAA Football athletes who were part of the early-season watch list including William and Mary’s Jonathan Grimes, Delaware’s Andrew Pierce and Old Dominion’s Thomas DeMarco.
The Payton Award will celebrate its 25th anniversary this season and be presented to the FCS’ outstanding player at the national awards banquet Friday night, Jan. 6 in Frisco, Texas. The Payton Award Watch List will continue to undergo revisions during the 2011 season. Ballots will be sent to a panel of about 200 sports information and media relations directors, broadcasters, writers and other dignitaries after the regular season on Nov. 21. Three finalists will be announced on Dec. 1 and invited to The Sports Network/Fathead FCS Awards Presentation.
Decker has guided the Wildcats to a 3-1 record and a No. 6 ranking in this week’s The Sports Network/Fathead.com Top 25. The signal caller ranks fifth nationally and second in the CAA in passing efficiency (169.59), eighth nationally and tops in the CAA in total offense/game (310) and he’s No. 2 in the FCS in points responsible for/game (23.5). The 6-foot-2, 205-pound QB leads the CAA in passing yards/game (270.8) and is second among non-kickers in scoring/game (8.5 points).
For more on the recent Payton Watch List update visit CAAFootball.com.
- CAA Football Kicks Off 2018 Season With Media Day On July 24
- 13 Players, 6 Teams Receive HERO Sports Preseason Recognition
- Nation's-Best Six CAA Football Teams Ranked In Athlon Top 25 Poll
- Three CAA Football Players Selected In 2018 NFL Draft
- Nine CAAFB Players Named To Hampshire Honor Society
- Reisert Named CAAFB Scholar-Athlete Of The Year
- Football National Signing Day
- Richmond's Lauletta Named Senior Bowl MVP
- This Week In CAA Football - Season Recap
- Four CAAFB Teams Ranked In Final Top 25 Polls