Nov 3, 2011, 2:07 PM EST
The definition of efficiency, having thrown just one interception in 18 quarters, is exactly what Old Dominion back-up quarterback Taylor Heinicke has exemplified since replacing injured starter Thomas DeMarco Oct. 1. The true freshman, now leading the 12th-ranked Monarch’s offense, was added to The 2011 Inaugural Jerry Rice Award Watch List Tuesday. The Atlanta, Ga., native joins four other CAA Football freshmen standouts on the list including New Hampshire’s R.J. Harris, Old Dominion’s Eriq Lewis, Villanova’s Dillon Lucas and Towson’s Terrance West.
The award, presented by The Sports Network and sponsored by Fathead.com, will honor the outstanding freshman in the Football Championship Subdivision. A national panel of communications and media relations directors, broadcasters, writers and other dignitaries will select the award winner after the regular season. The legendary Rice, who played in the FCS (then Division I-AA) at Mississippi Valley State, will present the award at the national awards banquet on Jan. 6 in Frisco, Texas.
For the complete release visit CAAFootball.com.
- This Week In CAA Football - Playoff Preview #1
- Lauletta, Ankrah Lead CAAFB All-Conference Team
- Four CAAFB Teams In Final Regular-Season Polls
- CAA Football Media Teleconference - Nov. 20
- CAA Football Weekly Awards - Nov. 20
- Four CAAFB Teams Receive FCS Playoff Berths
- CAA Football Rewind - Nov. 18
- CAAFB Has Seven On Academic All-District Team
- This Week In CAA Football - Week 12 Preview
- Four CAAFB Teams Among Top 16 In FCS Polls