Dec 5, 2011, 11:57 AM EST
On the heels of a 10-3 record, and as the most successful start-up football program in NCAA FCS history, Old Dominion University and head coach Bobby Wilder have agreed to a new 10-year contract that will keep him at the helm of the program through the 2021 season.
“First and foremost, I want to applaud President John Broderick and the members of the search committee for their vision in hiring Bobby Wilder in 2007,” says ODU athletic director Dr. Wood Selig. “Bobby has done a masterful job in every facet of leading a high performing Division I football program. As the architect of ODU football, he has exceeded every goal and expectation that one could have reasonably held for ODU’s football program. Coach Wilder literally micro-waved the start-up process, and in just three seasons has ODU football competing with the nation’s elite.
The Monarchs completed the 2011 season this past Saturday at Georgia Southern, following a 55-48 loss to the Eagles in the second round of the FCS playoffs. In just the third season of the program and first in the Colonial Athletic Association, ODU was ranked as high as No. 9 in the national polls, and tied for second place in the CAA after being selected 10th in the pre-season coaches poll. The Monarchs earned regular season wins over Campbell, Georgia State, Hampton and CAA foes James Madison, William and Mary, Villanova, Massachusetts, Richmond and Rhode Island, while falling to Delaware and CAA champion Towson in games where the Monarchs held leads late into the fourth quarter. ODU defeated Norfolk State in the first round of the FCS playoffs on Nov. 26 before advancing to play Georgia Southern.
For the complete release visit ODUSports.com.
- This Week In CAA Football - Playoff Preview #1
- Lauletta, Ankrah Lead CAAFB All-Conference Team
- Four CAAFB Teams In Final Regular-Season Polls
- CAA Football Media Teleconference - Nov. 20
- CAA Football Weekly Awards - Nov. 20
- Four CAAFB Teams Receive FCS Playoff Berths
- CAA Football Rewind - Nov. 18
- CAAFB Has Seven On Academic All-District Team
- This Week In CAA Football - Week 12 Preview
- Four CAAFB Teams Among Top 16 In FCS Polls