Dec 6, 2011, 5:01 PM EDT
The University of Richmond announced Tuesday that Danny Rocco has been named the 35th head coach of the Spider Football program. A three-time Big South Coach of the Year as the head coach of Liberty who brings nearly 30 years of coaching experience to Richmond, Rocco will be introduced at a press conference on Wednesday at 2 p.m. in the Robins Center.
Wednesday’s press conference will be carried live on SpiderTV with live audio being made available on RichmondSpiders.com. ESPN 950 will also air the press conference.
“I am pleased to welcome Coach Rocco and his family to the University of Richmond,” said Richmond Athletic Director Jim Miller. “He is an experienced coach with a proven record of leadership both on the field and in the community. Coach Rocco is the right fit for Spider Football in an important time for our program.”
“I’m very excited about the opportunity given to me by Jim Miller and President Ayers to be the head football coach at the University of Richmond,” said Rocco. “Richmond is a very impressive academic institution that combines the significance and importance of success on the field and in the classroom. The recent success of Richmond football excites me and I really can’t wait to get to work returning the Spider program back to those winning ways.”
Rocco arrived at Liberty following the program’s 1-10 finish in 2005 and has since transformed the program as the architect of six consecutive winning seasons with the Flames. In his first season in 2006, Liberty won five more games (6-5) than the previous year, an improvement that tied for the best FCS turnaround in the nation that season.
For the complete release visit RichmondSpiders.com.
- CAA Football Kicks Off 2018 Season With Media Day On July 24
- 13 Players, 6 Teams Receive HERO Sports Preseason Recognition
- Nation's-Best Six CAA Football Teams Ranked In Athlon Top 25 Poll
- Three CAA Football Players Selected In 2018 NFL Draft
- Nine CAAFB Players Named To Hampshire Honor Society
- Reisert Named CAAFB Scholar-Athlete Of The Year
- Football National Signing Day
- Richmond's Lauletta Named Senior Bowl MVP
- This Week In CAA Football - Season Recap
- Four CAAFB Teams Ranked In Final Top 25 Polls