Jan 26, 2012, 5:45 PM EST
Most freshman athletes spend their first year on campus getting acclimated to college life, the balancing of studying as well as transitioning to college level of play on the field. Imagine doing this while learning one of the most difficult positions in sports, the quarterback position.
|Old Dominion’s Taylor Heinicke|
Old Dominion freshman Taylor Heinicke has done just this, shining in his first season as an ODU quarterback. In a movie type story, Heinicke started his first season as the backup to more experienced senior Thomas DeMarco, learning the system and preparing to take over the reigns for his redshirt freshman campaign next season.
After DeMarco went down with an injury in the fifth game of the season against Massachusetts plans changed and Monarch coaches turned the offense over to Heinicke.
“I initially got really nervous, but I knew I just had to go out there and play football,” Heinicke said. “Going from redshirting to starting quarterback was unreal.”
For the full story by Nick Swope visit WeAreTheCAA.com.
- This Week In CAA Football - Playoff Preview #1
- Lauletta, Ankrah Lead CAAFB All-Conference Team
- Four CAAFB Teams In Final Regular-Season Polls
- CAA Football Media Teleconference - Nov. 20
- CAA Football Weekly Awards - Nov. 20
- Four CAAFB Teams Receive FCS Playoff Berths
- CAA Football Rewind - Nov. 18
- CAAFB Has Seven On Academic All-District Team
- This Week In CAA Football - Week 12 Preview
- Four CAAFB Teams Among Top 16 In FCS Polls