Jun 19, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
The Colonial Athletic Association Football (CAA Football) Council of Presidents has determined that as a withdrawing institution, Old Dominion University will not be eligible for the 2012 CAA Football conference championship and the league’s automatic bid to the NCAA Championship.
Georgia State previously announced its intentions to reclassify to the Football Bowl Subdivision April 9, 2012, which by NCAA rule renders it ineligible for the CAA Football Championship, the league’s automatic bid to the NCAA Championship as well as at-large consideration for the NCAA Playoffs.
“CAA Football bylaws require consideration and discussion of any action restricting the rights and privileges of membership afforded a withdrawing institution,” CAA Football Commissioner Tom Yeager said. “The CAA Football Presidents strongly believe the interests of the conference are best served when a continuing member institution is designated as the conference champion.”
For the complete release including information about NCAA Championship eligibility for Old Dominion and audio from today’s media teleconference with Commissioner Yeager visit CAAFootball.com.
- This Week In CAA Football - Playoff Preview #1
- Lauletta, Ankrah Lead CAAFB All-Conference Team
- Four CAAFB Teams In Final Regular-Season Polls
- CAA Football Media Teleconference - Nov. 20
- CAA Football Weekly Awards - Nov. 20
- Four CAAFB Teams Receive FCS Playoff Berths
- CAA Football Rewind - Nov. 18
- CAAFB Has Seven On Academic All-District Team
- This Week In CAA Football - Week 12 Preview
- Four CAAFB Teams Among Top 16 In FCS Polls