Jun 19, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
The Colonial Athletic Association Football (CAA Football) Council of Presidents has determined that as a withdrawing institution, Old Dominion University will not be eligible for the 2012 CAA Football conference championship and the league’s automatic bid to the NCAA Championship.
Georgia State previously announced its intentions to reclassify to the Football Bowl Subdivision April 9, 2012, which by NCAA rule renders it ineligible for the CAA Football Championship, the league’s automatic bid to the NCAA Championship as well as at-large consideration for the NCAA Playoffs.
“CAA Football bylaws require consideration and discussion of any action restricting the rights and privileges of membership afforded a withdrawing institution,” CAA Football Commissioner Tom Yeager said. “The CAA Football Presidents strongly believe the interests of the conference are best served when a continuing member institution is designated as the conference champion.”
For the complete release including information about NCAA Championship eligibility for Old Dominion and audio from today’s media teleconference with Commissioner Yeager visit CAAFootball.com.
- Football National Signing Day
- Richmond's Lauletta Named Senior Bowl MVP
- This Week In CAA Football - Season Recap
- Four CAAFB Teams Ranked In Final Top 25 Polls
- JMU Falls 17-13 To NDSU In FCS Title Game
- Friday in Frisco
- JMU FCSChampionship - Thursday Update
- Ankrah Chosen FCS ADA Defensive Player Of The Year
- This Week In CAA Football - National Championship
- National Early Signing Day