Jan 5, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
It was another relatively chilly one for this afternoon’s FCS Championship game here in Frisco, where the weather probably felt a lot like springtime to the thousands of North Dakota State fans who made their way down from the Upper Midwest. Thankfully the sun eventually came out, as did the Bison in the game’s second half.
The NDSU fans’ presence was felt the moment we stepped out of the car at FC Dallas Stadium. Sam Houston State may only be a few hours away, but the Bearkat fans were easily outnumbered by the green and yellow clad Bison contingent. This was true in the tailgate lots and especially in the stadium, where the NDSU fans filled what had to be 70% of the seats.
They weren’t disappointed after the game got underway, as NDSU used a balanced attack and limited penalties and turnovers to break open the second half and best the Bearkats, 39-13, for its second-consecutive national crown. It was a well-deserved victory for National Coach of the Year Craig Bohl and his Bison.
With the Bison’s win will soon come a renewed optimism among the many FCS programs that have their eyes set on the 2014 crown. We at CAA Football are certainly optimistic that one of our 11 member programs can step out of the fray of what has perennially been one of the nation’s most competitive conferences and ultimately hoist the trophy come this time next year.
Today’s national title game will be one of many conversations at hand during this coming week’s American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) Convention in Nashville, where we’ll host a reception for our league’s coaching staffs tomorrow evening. More on that to follow after the event.
- VU's Kpassagnon, Seaton Chosen In NFL Draft
- Ryder, Shorey Named Student-Athletes Of The Year
- CAA Football Announces Academic All-Conference Team
- National Signing Day Central
- This Week In CAA Football - Season Finale
- Houston Named AFCA FCS National Coach Of The Year
- #1 JMU Leads Four CAAFB Teams In Final Polls
- JMU Captures FCS National Championship
- This Week In CAA Football - Countdown To Kickoff
- This Week In CAA Football - Frisco Media Day