Jan 17, 2013, 4:54 PM EDT
In the spirit of the popular “Throwback Thursday” sensation, we’re introducing a new “This Week in History” feature series every Thursday in which we highlight important events from around CAA Football in years past. In our first installment, we look back at the 2009 AFC Divisional Playoff game between the Wild Card New York Jets and AFC West Champion San Diego Chargers on Jan. 17, 2010, that featured three Maine Black Bear alums. DE Mike Devito (’06) and TE Matt Mulligan (’06) were members of the Jets, while LB Stephen Cooper (’03) played for the host Chargers.
San Diego held New York scoreless in the first half after allowing just two first downs and 99 total yards, taking a 7-0 lead into the half. The Jets wasted little time in getting on the board coming out of the locker room and finished their first drive of the second half with a field goal before QB Mark Sanchez connected with TE Dustin Keller on a 2-yard TD pass early in the fourth to give New York its first lead of the game. RB Sean Greene tacked on a 53-yard rushing score minutes later to seal what would be a 17-14 Jets victory.
DeVito recorded his first full sack as a pro with a fourth-quarter takedown of QB Phillip Rivers, while Cooper led San Diego with nine tackles, including seven solo and one for a loss. In his post-game comments, Cooper said, “We did some good things in the first half, but the whole game was kind of a surprise to us because we’d been getting big leads as a team. Our offense had been rolling. Our defense had a lot of opportunities out there to stop them and we didn’t do that enough.”
Check out the NFL’s highlights of the game by clicking below.
- CAA Football Kicks Off 2018 Season With Media Day On July 24
- 13 Players, 6 Teams Receive HERO Sports Preseason Recognition
- Nation's-Best Six CAA Football Teams Ranked In Athlon Top 25 Poll
- Three CAA Football Players Selected In 2018 NFL Draft
- Nine CAAFB Players Named To Hampshire Honor Society
- Reisert Named CAAFB Scholar-Athlete Of The Year
- Football National Signing Day
- Richmond's Lauletta Named Senior Bowl MVP
- This Week In CAA Football - Season Recap
- Four CAAFB Teams Ranked In Final Top 25 Polls