Apr 12, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Welcome to our latest Friday Morning Tailgate, where we invite you to dig into the week’s written, photo and video clips and top tweets from in and around the league. It may be the offseason, but there’s always news to be had across CAA Football.
NEWS & SCHOOL CLIPS
- UAlbany head coach Bob Ford has added tight ends coach Kevin Ross and wide receivers coach Aaron Smith to his staff.
- The Great Danes have also given fans a sneak peak at the progress of Bob Ford Field, scheduled to open in September
- Delaware has officially opened its spring practice schedule under new head coach Dave Brock.
- Kevin Tresolini of the Wilmington News Journal talked with UD senior WR Rob Jones about his second shot at a senior season.
- James Madison head coach Mickey Matthews offers his take on the team’s first spring scrimmage.
- Matthew Stoss of the Harrisonburg Daily Record notes that JMU alum Earl Watford is a projected draft pick according to ESPN NFL Draft analyst Mel Kiper.
- The Sports Networks looks at how JMU sophomore QB Michael Birdsong is adjusting to the starting spot.
- Maine issued a series of notes with the program’s spring slate getting underway on Thursday.
- The Black Bears have provided a video recap along with a video blog with senior LB Troy Eastman following their first day of spring ball.
- Former Maine player and assistant Jeff Commisiong has been hired as Old Dominion’s defensive line coach.
- New Hampshire defensive coordinator John Lyons will be inducted into his high school’s Athletic Hall of Fame this month.
- The Wildcats boast an impressive 27 CAA Commissioner’s Academic Award selections.
- Rhode Island will host its fifth annual bone marrow registry drive on April 25. Two Rams players have helped save lives through the drive.
- John O’Connor of the Richmond Times-Dispatch covers the NCAA’s denial of the Spiders’ appeal for transfer QB Michael Rocco to play in 2013.
- Stony Brook’s “Inside the Huddle” series looks back at the Seawolves’ March 22 pro day.
- Towson head coach Rob Ambrose offered a few comments about the team’s progress following Saturday’s first scrimmage.
- The Tiger Sports Network caught up with new tight ends coach Tyler Bowen this week.
- Tim Pearrell of the Richmond Times Dispatch talks with Tribe head coach Jimmye Laycock about the fresh approach new offensive coordinator and QB coach Kevin Rogers will bring to Williamsburg.
- W&M defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Scott Boone provides an update on the program’s spring slate.
- William and Mary received a nearly $24 million gift from alum Walter Zable, with the funds set to go towards scholarships and stadium renovations.
- William and Mary alum and Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin has been named to the NFL Competition Committee.
- The Tribe will welcome three NFL stars to its Colonial All-Pro Football Camp this summer.
- Craig Haley of the Sports Network talks with small college draft evaluator Josh Buchanan, who makes mention of both JMU’s Earl Watford and W&M’s B.W. Webb.
- Haley also refers to Webb as the second-best FCS draft prospect on the defensive side of the ball.
CAA FOOTBALL CLIPS
- CAA Football released its 2013 schedule on Monday that includes 85 games over 13 weeks, including 10 matchups against FBS opponents.
- In the third installment of our Going Deep series, we talk with Delaware senior RB Andrew Pierce about life both on and off the field.
- The league has launched a Spring Game Central page as a one-stop source for information and links to our member programs’ spring games.
THE WEEK IN TWEETS
- Ryder, Shorey Named Student-Athletes Of The Year
- CAA Football Announces Academic All-Conference Team
- National Signing Day Central
- This Week In CAA Football - Season Finale
- Houston Named AFCA FCS National Coach Of The Year
- #1 JMU Leads Four CAAFB Teams In Final Polls
- JMU Captures FCS National Championship
- This Week In CAA Football - Countdown To Kickoff
- This Week In CAA Football - Frisco Media Day
- This Week In CAA Football - National Championship