May 3, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
We kick off the month of May by inviting you to join our latest Friday Morning Tailgate, so go ahead and dig into the week’s written, photo and video clips and the top tweets from in and around the league. On tap again this week are oversized servings of spring ball and NFL Draft coverage.
NEWS & SCHOOL CLIPS
- UAlbany held its spring game on Saturday, with the offense tacking on a late touchdown to top the defense, 45-41.
- Andrew Santillo of the Troy Record notes that while the Great Danes’ offense won Saturday’s spring game, it was the defense that shined.
- The Delaware State News reports that Delaware standouts Paul Worrilow, Ricky Tunstall and Marcus Burley have signed NFL free agent contracts.
- Kevin Tresolini of the Wilmington News Journal writes that Worrilow remains unfazed by thoughts of the NFL.
- Delaware’s “15 Days of Spring With Blue Hens Football” series continues this week leading up to Saturday’s spring game.
- Delaware will host its fifth annual Be The Match bone marrow registry drive on Monday.
- Matthew Stoss of the Harrisonburg Daily News-Record covers James Madison OL Earl Watford’s fourth-round NFL Draft selection.
- Vince Marotta of ArizonaSports.com says that Watford will bring plenty of confidence with him to the NFL.
- Ron Wolfley of ArizonaSports.com notes that while nobody is talking about Watford, he may just be the “hidden gem of this draft.”
- Pete Warner of the Bangor Daily News reports that former Maine safety Trevor Coston (’11) has signed with the Detroit Lions, while graduated seniors Donte Dennis and Darlos James have received minicamp invitations.
- Sean Yuille of SB Nation’s Pride of Detroit details Coston’s signing with the Lions.
- The Black Bears have released video highlights ahead of Saturday’s spring-ending Jeff Cole Scrimmage.
- The Seattle Post-Intelligencer blogs about the Seahawks’ seventh-round selection of New Hampshire DT Jared “Fat Rabbit” Smith.
- The Portsmouth Herald details Smith’s selection in last week’s draft.
- The Concord Monitor notes that Smith ended a six-year streak for the Wildcats when he was drafted this past week.
- UNH has issued a spring prospectus along with a preview for Saturday’s annual Blue & White Game.
- The Wildcats have also released video previews of its QB, RB/WR/TE, OL/DL and LB ahead of Saturday’s spring game.
- Bill Koch of Independent Newspapers writes about a rejuvenated Rhode Island squad’s first steps to a fresh start at Saturday’s Blue-White Game.
- Richmond safety Cooper Taylor became the first Spider to be drafted since 2010 when he the New York Giants selected in the fifth round on Saturday.
- Ed Valentine of SB Nation’s Big Blue View asks if Taylor is in fact a new breed of NFL safety.
- John O’Connor of the Richmond Times-Dispatch reports that the Spiders’ Kendall Gaskins and John Laub have also taken the next steps to fulfilling their NFL aspirations.
- Greg Logan of Newsday writes that Stony Brook’s defense showed a great deal of promise in Sunday’s spring game.
- Newsday has also provided a photo gallery from the Seawolves’ spring game.
- Towson had three of its graduated senior standouts in DE Frank Beltre, safety Jordan Dangerfield and WR Gerrard Sheppard sign NFL free agent contracts recently.
- Jesse Jones of The Towerlight recaps the Tigers’ defense-dominated Tiger Bowl III spring game.
- Tiger Bowl III video highlights are now available.
- Brian Ewart of SB Nation reports that LS and Academic All-Conference honoree Adam Nelson received an invite to the Kansas City Chiefs’ minicamp.
- The Wildcats have named their Most Improved Player on both offense and defense with spring ball now in the books.
- William and Mary’s B.W. Webb became the league’s highest pick in this year’s NFL Draft when the Dallas Cowboys selected him in Saturday’s fourth round.
- Cowboys DC Monte Kiffin breaks down Dallas’ defensive draft picks, issuing a lot of praise for Webb in the process.
- The Tribe has presented a video feature depicting Webb’s draft experience.
CAA FOOTBALL CLIPS
- CAA Football recaps the league’s four NFL Draft selections with this video featuring draft coverage and player highlights.
- We caught up with former Richmond QB John Laub to talk about his NFL Draft week and invite to the Detroit Lions’ minicamp.
- The league has launched a Spring Game Central page as a one-stop source for information, links and analysis of our member programs’ spring games.
- We continue our Spring Ball Analysis series with three team breakdowns this week…
THE WEEK IN TWEETS
- VU's Kpassagnon, Seaton Chosen In NFL Draft
- Ryder, Shorey Named Student-Athletes Of The Year
- CAA Football Announces Academic All-Conference Team
- National Signing Day Central
- This Week In CAA Football - Season Finale
- Houston Named AFCA FCS National Coach Of The Year
- #1 JMU Leads Four CAAFB Teams In Final Polls
- JMU Captures FCS National Championship
- This Week In CAA Football - Countdown To Kickoff
- This Week In CAA Football - Frisco Media Day