Jun 17, 2013, 10:33 AM EDT
There’s no doubt that CAA Football has had a strong tradition of talented defensive backs over the years. I mean, look no further than William and Mary’s B.W. Webb and Richmond’s Cooper Taylor being taken in the fourth and fifth rounds, respectively, of April’s NFL Draft. The conference should continue to shine at the position again in 2013, as evidenced by the impressive list of eight league players who were chosen to College Football Performance Awards’ Defensive Back Watch List on Monday.
Comprising the list of eight players are UAlbany’s Justinian Mason and Tramaine Wilson, James Madison’s Dean Marlowe, Maine’s Jamal Clay and Kendall James, New Hampshire’s Manny Asam, Stony Brook’s Davonte Anderson and Villanova’s Joe Sarnese.
The group represents nearly one-fourth of the 36 total players named to this year’s watch list, giving CAA Football the most selections of any conference in the country. The eight now join 21 other league standouts who have been selected to CFPA positional award watch lists so far this preseason.
The CFPA Watch List serves a rough guide to returning performers for the 2013 season. All CFPA recipients are selected exclusively based upon objective scientific rankings of the extent to which individual players increase the overall effectiveness of their teams. All players are eligible for awards at their respective positions; players are not preemptively eliminated from consideration.
There are currently 111 CFPA recipients listed on official 2013 NFL rosters. More than 130 CFPA recipients have signed professional contracts, and 21 have been first-round NFL Draft selections.
The full list of 2013 recipients, including those CFPA FCS Awards honorees, will be announced on January 8, 2014. For more information, visit the CFPA website at collegefootballperformance.com.
- CAA Football Kicks Off 2018 Season With Media Day On July 24
- 13 Players, 6 Teams Receive HERO Sports Preseason Recognition
- Nation's-Best Six CAA Football Teams Ranked In Athlon Top 25 Poll
- Three CAA Football Players Selected In 2018 NFL Draft
- Nine CAAFB Players Named To Hampshire Honor Society
- Reisert Named CAAFB Scholar-Athlete Of The Year
- Football National Signing Day
- Richmond's Lauletta Named Senior Bowl MVP
- This Week In CAA Football - Season Recap
- Four CAAFB Teams Ranked In Final Top 25 Polls