Aug 14, 2013, 3:17 PM EDT
CAA Football was well represented in another preseason poll, leading the FCS once again with six teams ranked in The Sports Network’s preseason FCS football top 25 poll released on Tuesday.
Last year’s CAA Football champion and automatic qualifier, Villanova, leads the league at No. 5 in TSN’s top 25 poll. The Wildcats return 16 starters from a team that finished 8-4 in 2012 and features sophomore dual-threat QB John Robertson, who won the second annual Jerry Rice Award honoring the top freshman in FCS Football.
Not far behind Nova are New Hampshire and Towson in the No. 10 and 11 spots, respectively.
UNH extended its FCS-best streak to 127 consecutive TSN polls, a streak that started on Sept. 13, 2004. The Tigers, meanwhile, have captured at least a share of the CAA Football title in each of the last two years, with junior RB Terrance West scoring an impressive 43 rushing touchdowns during that span (111.4 ypg).
At the No. 15 and No. 16 spots, respectively, are Richmond and Stony Brook. Both expect big things this season. Richmond will likely be led by QB Michael Strauss, who helped the Spiders average 33 points per game in 2012 and owns a perfect 4-0 record as a starter. SBU closed out the 2012 season ranked sixth nationally with 275 ypg on the ground and returns four key starters on the O-Line in Fernando Diaz, Scott Hernandez, Mike Lisi and Cody Precht.
James Madison rounds out the six teams represented in the top 25 at No. 19. JMU’s recently revamped Bridgeforth Stadium has quickly become one of the top FCS venues, with the Dukes averaging the third-best per game attendance mark in the nation with 22,783 spectators. Head coach Mickey Matthews’ squad plays seven home tilts in 2013.
Delaware, UAlbany and William and Mary also received votes in the poll. More on TSN’s top 25 can be found on sportsnetwork.com.
- 13 Players, 6 Teams Receive HERO Sports Preseason Recognition
- Nation's-Best Six CAA Football Teams Ranked In Athlon Top 25 Poll
- Three CAA Football Players Selected In 2018 NFL Draft
- Nine CAAFB Players Named To Hampshire Honor Society
- Reisert Named CAAFB Scholar-Athlete Of The Year
- Football National Signing Day
- Richmond's Lauletta Named Senior Bowl MVP
- This Week In CAA Football - Season Recap
- Four CAAFB Teams Ranked In Final Top 25 Polls
- JMU Falls 17-13 To NDSU In FCS Title Game